Saturday, April 18, 2009

Love


As my time here in the Holy Land wraps up the one word that rings in my mind is Love. The love i've found in both the people of the Holy Land, the people I live with and the one who I love most, my Savior Jesus Christ. The Palestinian people never cease to amaze me. They will forever serve as an example to me of caring and loving people with an incredible love for family. Last week on Easter Sunday, I met the most incredible women. When I met her outside the Garden Tomb I knew there was something special about her. She is an artist from Sweden and she showed us her book. She has had a very interesting life, one that will forever serve as an example to me. After being abandoned by her husband she lived a life always looking out for those around her. Giving aid to those in need that she didn't even know. She was once a Chrsitian, came to Israel and converted to Judaism and is now Christian again. She invited us to her home and I think I found the house I want to live in later in life. It is perfect, and also serves as a bread and breakfast. There is so much I could say about this incredible woman's life. I will never forget her and the light she shines through her self-less life and beautiful art. She will forever be an inspiration to me.

Tonight we participated in a program simulating the Triclinium Last Supper dinner. It was set out in front of us as we read through John's Gospel. After the program I was thinking as I looked out over the Old City at night and tried to picture Christ's journey from Galilee here to Jerusalem. Even in the midst of betrayal, he showed love. On my way to the Garden of Gethsemane one of the little girls i've gotten to know recognized me and came running toward me, I turned around and she ran right into my arms. I picture the children doing just that to the Savior.

My time here has most definitely been well spent. I've learned some of the most important lessons here in Jerusalem- political, social and religous. I will never forget the time I've spent here and the impression Jerusalem has made on me. I believe this program and Jerusalem itself has given me a foundation stronger than I ever though I could have on which I am so excited to build my future on. Thank you Mom and Dad for allowing me to have this unforgettable experience.

2 comments:

  1. Rachael I have really loved hearing about your wonderful experiences in Jerusalem. Your growth and seeing the lessons you learned has helped me to grow too! I'm glad you're back and hopefully I can see you sometime soon!
    Love,
    Kalisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across this blog while googling how to spell benehuda street! (I think Ben Yehuda?)

    I was there oh--maybe about 25 years ago!

    I scrolled through some of your pictures and blog entries. What a fun experience you had! Makes me want to go back for another trip.

    ReplyDelete